INCLUSIVE RECREATION SPECIALIST COURSE
16-Week Online Course
The deadline for 2022 applications has past. If you are interested in receiving emails about the course and any future offerings, sign up below.
Learn how to comprehensively adapt to every child's needs in every activity across all recreational settings, no matter which organization or program you work for!
When you complete the Inclusive Recreation Specialist Course, you will earn a certificate in inclusive recreation from NIP indicating your professional skills align with the Standards for Inclusive Recreation Programs and that you are trained to comprehensively meet the needs of children with disabilities in recreational settings and programs.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE COURSE?
This course is designed for recreation professionals early in their careers, experienced practitioners working in recreation or related fields, as well as students still in their studies wanting to deepen their knowledge.
Participants can expect to learn:
- Specialized/enhanced knowledge of inclusive recreation
- Increased marketability/employability
- Enriched expertise & credentials for advancement and/or career transitions
- Become a member of a network of professionals across a range of settings and a variety of programs
- Better prepared for inclusion-focused positions than with generalized degrees alone
- Ability to implement inclusive recreation best practices with fidelity
The course content and assignments align with the Standards for Inclusive Recreation Programs and focus on high impact strategies for meaningfully and intentionally including children with disabilities in recreational settings. Each learning module intertwines both research-based theory and evidence-based practice into lessons and activities that are highly applicable and practical to real-world work with children.
Each module includes formative assessment activities to reinforce understanding progressively and summative evaluations to measure overall comprehension of key concepts. Instructor feedback is embedded throughout and there are frequent opportunities for interaction/communication with other learners, instructors, and experts to enhance the participants' knowledge and experience.
The course concepts include:
- Introduction to Inclusive Recreation
- Inclusion 101- Foundations & Fundamentals
- Administrative Knowledge- Inclusive Program Assessment
- Administrative Skills- Inclusive Communication
- Inclusive Facilities & Design
- Empowering and Equipping Staff to Include
- Inclusive Programming and Positive Behavior Supports
- Inclusion Strategies & Supports
- Inclusive Recreation in Action
Participants will have 16 weeks to complete all coursework, assignments, and requirements on their own time, at their own pace.
Participants will have the opportunity to communicate with course instructors and other Cohort peers throughout the course via email and video conference to reinforce learning, ask questions, and network together. Upon successfully finishing the course, participants will receive a certificate of completion and endorsement as an National Inclusion Project Inclusive Recreation Specialist.
The course is powered by Partners for Youth with Disabilities’ online learning platform and thanks to a partnership with The MENTOR Network Charitable Foundation, there is no cost to participate for individuals accepted into this pilot.
INTERESTED OR HAVE A QUESTION?
Want to be in the loop about the future of the course? Sign up below to be added to the Course Interest email list. Want to ask a question? Email AmandaKloo@inclusionproject.org.
Specialist Course Interest Form
Everybody Participates. Everybody Belongs
There are many ways to support our mission. One of them (and a very easy one at that) is through donating.