Jonathan Bunzey is a 12-year-old who communicates with Signing Exact English due to encephalitis as an infant that left him able to hear but unable to speak.
Jonathan loves people and his smile is contagious. He has the gift of helping and a huge heart. Put that together with the fact that he’s a hard worker, and that is a recipe for Jonathan to help those who need help.
For the past four years, Jonathan has worked on the We Build People Campaign at the A.E. Finley YMCA in Raleigh, NC. He raises money for kids with special needs to be able to have the same, fun camp experience at the YMCA that he has had. In his first year with the campaign, he raised around $700. Three years later, Jonathan challenged himself and raised $6400. In the spring of 2006, Jonathan was honored as volunteer of the quarter. He was also recently The Bubel/Aiken Foundation’s Champion of Change Youth Honoree for his work to open doors for kids with special needs. (For the rest of Jonathan’s bio, click here.)
From May 19, 2007 to June 9, 2007, Jonathan wants to challenge kids across the country to a LemonAID Stand-Off.
The rules and regulations are:
1. Register your LemonAID stand with The Bubel/Aiken Foundation by sending the following information to The Bubel/Aiken Foundation: Name, date of LemonAID stand, address, email, age, parent or guardian that gave permission, and if you have a friend with special needs participating with you. Send the information to email@example.com.
2. Any signs for your stand should include Kids Helping Other Kids and/or K-HOK and The Bubel/Aiken Foundation.
3. Choose how much to charge for the LemonAID or whether to just ask for a donation.
4. Gather all of your supplies – (lemonade, cups etc.) Sometimes it’s helpful to have cookies and coffee too!
5. Talk with your parent or guardian regarding setting up your stand in a safe area and make safety rules with them.
6. Be nice and friendly and ALWAYS say "Thank you!"
7. If you know someone who has special needs, include them in your stand.
8. Send your donations using a money order or any checks people give to TBAF by JUNE 15, 2007.
Send it to:
The Bubel/Aiken Foundation
ATTN: LemonAID Stand Off
8601 Six Forks Road
Raleigh, NC 27615
THERE WILL BE PRIZES FOR THE TWO STANDS THAT RAISE THE MOST MONEY!!!
Jonathan’s stand will take place Saturday, May 19 from 9am-3pm at Taylor’s Gas Station on Six Forks Rd. in Raleigh, NC.
A Note from Jonathan:
The Bubel/Aiken Foundation helps kids with special needs to have fun and to be able to do the things that other kids do (like summer camp). The money we raise will go to help these special kids to experience fun through The Bubel/Aiken Foundation’s programs.
I know because I go to YMCA camp every year with help from the Foundation. I cannot speak so they help me to have an interpreter. It helps me to get through the summer without being bored and I have LOTS of fun! I know what it feels like to not be able to attend things because of my special needs.
So, have fun and do your best. Every year I raise money to help kids and it feels good to give it! Last year, I made $190 at one lemonade stand! You can help a lot! Join the fun on May 19th and help other kids!