2-Part Interactive Workshop
Inclusion Strategy Spotlight: In Depth Explorations of Different High Impact Strategies
These two-part interactive workshops are for anyone working with children and adolescents in inclusive settings. Participants will sign up to explore one inclusion strategy per session. Participants can choose from Hiring Staff, Family & Participant Intake, Positive Behavior Support, Adaptations & Accommodations, Inclusive Play & Movement, Inclusive Youth Sports & Fitness, Inclusive Activity Design & Implementation and more!
Together, we unpack an inclusion strategy through both instructor-guided and small group activities to discuss implementation ideas and practical considerations. We dive into the nuts and bolts of the strategy to fit them with the unique context of your organization and meet the needs of the children you serve.
Participants use the materials, tools, and resources provided to implement strategy, then receive detailed feedback and recommendations for enhancements. We will network and collaborate to develop partnerships among professionals committed to best inclusive practices.
Adaptations and Accommodations: In this two-part interactive workshop, participants will learn to apply the ADAPT strategy when designing activities to successfully include children with a wide range of abilities across a wide range of settings. Together we will develop games, activities, lessons, and materials designed to maximize children’s strengths and accommodate children’s needs to heighten engagement, connection, participation, and fun! Participants will walk away with a cadre of practical ideas, tools, and strategies to implement in their program right away.
Positive Behavior Support: In this two-part interactive workshop, participants will learn to apply foundational concepts of effective Positive Behavior Support to meet the needs of children across a wide range of program settings. Small groups will analyze case examples of challenging behaviors to identify escalation patterns, behavioral function, and intervention ideas. Participants will differentiate between reinforcement, punishment, positive, and negative response strategies. Participants will design sample behavior plans chalked full of proactive reinforcement strategies to promote desired behaviors among all children during all activities. Participants will come away with practical strategies to effectively support the behavior of all children in their care.
Participants can expect to:
- Work closely with instructor to examine the research-base, the rationale, & the real-world practicalities for implementing high impact inclusion strategies with all children served in your program.
- Connect with other inclusion professionals in small groups to discuss activity designs, programming ideas and participant needs.
- Receive guided support and individualized feedback from the instructor.
- Collaboratively develop activities grounded in best practices and aligned to effective inclusion strategies to support the learning, growth, participation, and behavior of all children.
- Walk away with practical advice, tools, and strategies.
- Develop working partnerships with other successful inclusive recreation programs and professionals across the country.
PART ONE: Interactive Workshop
- Explore fundamental principles of specific inclusion strategy
- Apply the strategy to practical scenarios and case examples.
- Engage in whole group & small group activities modeling strategy implementation.
- Practice designing and leading inclusive activities & lessons using the strategy with instructor guidance and small group collaboration.
HOMEWORK: Independent Application (Anytime Between Workshops)
- Participants will try out the strategy explored in the workshop with the children served in their program.
- Design an activity using the strategy to implement in a real-world setting.
- Submit activity draft to instructor for individualized written feedback & suggestions.
- Implement the activity.
- Reflect on what worked & what didn’t.
PART TWO: Interactive Workshop
- Analyze activity reflections and propose changes/improvements to strategy implementation.
- Detail adaptations and adjustments to strategy implementation to fit program & population needs.
- Share strategy-rich activity ideas with peers to walk away with multiple ready-to-implement activities grounded in best practice.
Everybody Participates Everybody Belongs
There are many ways to support our mission. One of them is through donating.
Whether it's a little or a lot, it all helps and it all matters!